This year, we're expanding on our annual maple syrup workshop at Jeffrey woods, and creating the "Jeffrey Woods Festival". Come join us at Jeffrey woods on March 5th for a morning full of maple syrup making, wood chopping, sawmilling, and chainsaw wood sculpture carving! The event starts at 8:00 am, with activities scheduled as follows:
8:00 am - 2:00 pm: Maple Syrup Workshop & Wood Chop Shop*
9:00 am - 1:00 pm: Wood Carving Exhibition - local craftsman Jerry Devine will carve a bald eagle out of a 5' tall piece of Bexley Catalpa wood using a chainsaw.
10:30 am & 12:30 pm: Sawmill demonstrations - Bexley City arborists will demonstrate the milling of native Bexley hardwoods.
All residents are welcome to come enjoy the festival, but please note that the maple syrup workshop and wood chop shop require registration in order to officially participate. To register for events, visit www.bexley.org/recreation. The Jeffrey Woods Festival is an educational offering of the Bexley Arboretum and the Bexley Recreation and Parks Department.
Join Bexley Yoga on Thursday, February 18th from 6:00 to 9:00 pm for their Grand Opening Celebration complete with live music. Meet the teachers, enjoy food and drinks, and come see the space. One lucky guest will win a free massage! Bexley Yoga is located on the west side of Drexel Avenue, just north of Main Street. For more info on Bexley Yoga, visit bexleyyoga.com.
With the winter weather season upon us, we would like to remind all residents of the importance of keeping streets clear for our snow plows and salt trucks when wintry conditions are imminent. If possible, please use your driveway or garage to park your cars rather than on streets. Our drivers can do a much better job clearing streets when they are not navigating around parked cars.
Below is some information from Franklin County Health Department regarding the Health Department's info and plans on treatment for the breed of mosquito that can carry the Zika virus:
· The mosquitoes that carry the Zika virus at this time are the Aedes aegypti mosquito and the Aedes albopictus (Asian tiger mosquito). Both of these mosquitoes are aggressive daytime bitters that can also carry Chikungunya. The Aedes aegypti is not in Ohio and prefers warmer climates. The Aedes albopictus is found in Ohio and Franklin County.
· Because we don’t have Aedes aegypti in Ohio and because both types of mosquitoes are limited in their distribution in the U.S. it is unlikely that Zika will become a disease that is circulating in the local mosquito populations throughout the U.S. (like we saw with West Nile virus).
· We do know we will continue to see cases from those who have traveled to areas where Zika is found in mosquitoes.
· FCPH has discussed the situation with the State of Ohio’s Entomologist and Vector Disease Control International, LLC and is establishing plans to take an early and even stronger approach to mosquito control this year. Even if we do not see Zika in mosquitoes in Central Ohio, this approach will certainly help control the types of mosquitoes we tackle each year anyway.
· Anyone, especially pregnant women, living or traveling to an area where Zika is found, who have not previously been infected with the Zika virus, are at risk for the virus. Pregnant women are urged not to travel to any area where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.
· There are no travel related or other type of human cases of Zika in Ohio at this time.
Registration for Bexley Recreation's Jeffrey Summer Camp is coming up! Coming off a successful 2015 camp season, we are excited about offerings for the Jeffrey Summer Camp Program in the summer of 2016. New themes, new field trips, new activities and much much more are being developed for this summer's camp season. We have continued to make the JSCP safe, exciting, and enjoyable for the campers as well as affordable, flexible, and convenient for the parents.
Registration dates are:
Early Bird (Returning Campers): March 1 & 3, 5-7p @ Jeffrey Mansion
Bexley Resident Open Registration: March 8 & 10, 5-7p @ Jeffrey Mansion
Non-Resident Open Registration: Beginning Monday, March 14 during Rec Office hours (M-F, 8a-430p)
Visit www.bexley.org/jeffrey-summer-camp/ for more information.