Code Enforcement Overview
Bexley Code establishes a minimum standard that structures and exterior property are to meet. The laws and codified ordinances can be found under the Public Documents page. The Building and Zoning Department will, under certain conditions, issue a citation into Mayor's Court. In most cases there will be two violation notices issued to the property owner explaining the violation and giving a period of time for owners to correct the violations. Following is an overview of common code enforcement laws and issues.
Are you thinking of making upgrades and changes to your home and property? Building Permits are required for: Additions, Decks, Driveways & Approaches, Electrical, Enclosures of porches, Excavations & Trenches, Fences, Garages, Hot Water Heaters, Plumbing, Pools & Spas/Hot Tubs, Public Sidewalks, Sheds, Stoops/Steps, Roofs, Siding, Sun Rooms, Water, Sewer & Gas Line Work, and Windows. When in doubt, contact the building department.
- Display address number near the front door or entry
- All structures (garages and fences) that abut an alley must have the number visible
- Numbers must be Arabic numerals
- Size of number: minimum of four inches in height
- Be a contrasting color to the background
Parking and Storage
- Vehicles advertised for sale may not be parked on the street or in plain site on private property. We ask that you attempt to sell your vehicle outside city limits
- Only one boat or RV is allowed in the rear yard and must be screened with a six foot solid fence or non-deciduous landscaping
- No vehicles are allowed to be parked in the grass
- No commercial vehicles are allowed, unless work is being performed during working hours
Trees and Bushes
Minimum height clearance required:
- Over all sidewalks = 8 feet
- Over all streets and alleys = 15 feet
- Must not block the view of the street at corners
- Must not block street signs or lights
Planting of trees, shrubs, flowers or other materials in the right-of-way requires a permit. There are certain species that are prohibited to be planted in the right-of-way. A complete list of prohibited species can be found by contacting the Tree and Public Garden Commission at (614) 559-4200.
Weeds and Grass
Grass and Weeds such as, but not limited to: thistle, ragweed, milkweed, poison ivy, or grass exceeding (8”) in height are prohibited.
Exterior Property Areas
Some violations include, but are not limited to:
- Peeling, flaking paint
- Broken or dilapidated fences, walls, or other structures
- Deteriorated structures, roofs, windows, etc.
- Broken, uneven, or improperly maintained walks or driveways
- Driveways with loose stones or gravel spilling into right of way
- Storage of building materials or materials such as earth, sand, or dirt not intended for current use on the property
- Out of use or on-usable appliances or automobile parts
- Unsightly or offensive materials. Outdoor use of furniture intended for indoor use
- Improperly disposed of materials, junk and clutter, unkempt garbage, trash, litter, and yard waste